In today’s fast paced lifestyle, what most people look for in the products and services that they avail of is convenience. By this, it means something that can make their life less stressful and that can make their work faster.
The same thing applies when people decide to take advantage of the self storage units. Most go for a convenient location or one which is just very accessible to their home and which won’t require them to drive far away.
Convenience is a priority for self storage clients who want to have regular access to the items they’re keeping. And so when the facility is near their home, at least they will have a feeling of security rather than storing their personal belongings at a remote location.
In fact, this major consideration of personal convenience when selecting a self storage facility was confirmed through a 2004 study conducted by the Self Storage Association (SSA). The extensive study that took four months was initiated to find out consumer demand in the self storage industry.
Based on the study’s findings, convenience is a top criteria compared to the facility’s other features such as climate or temperature control and shelving. Additionally, among the top five factors taken into account by consumers, four are associated to convenience. These include access to the facility and availability of drive-up parking, round the clock access to the rental units, electronic security in the gates and close location of the facility to the home or office. Another important consideration but which does not relate to convenience was pest control.
On the other hand, the same study found that most people using these rental units go for the traditional self storage building including the mini storage units that are accessible and have drive-up parking. The facility set up in one place is more preferred more than the modern mobile types.
Experts, however, point out that although convenience is a primary consideration for most consumers, it is still recommended that they check the other important features of the facility. It is because not all self storage units share the same features and policies.
Security should be verified at all times in order to ensure that the items you’re storing will remain safe every day whether daytime or nighttime. Some facilities provide only the basic security system such as padlocks and sound alarms while some providers take the extra effort to utilize only advanced security devices to protect the entire building round the clock. Certain fixtures and devices that you should check with the rental unit you’re using are proper lighting all around the facility, door locks and CCTV or the closed circuit television camera that records every activity within the complex as well as inside the self storage units. It will also be helpful if you find out from the management any record of break-ins in the building and action taken afterwards such as perhaps a court judgment.
When convenience and security are combined, consumers for sure will feel confident that their personal items inside the units won’t get lost or damaged.
For information on storage facilities in Aberdeen visit MyStorageWorks.com, a leading self storage company in the Maryland and Pennsylvania area.
When your belongings overflow your house, sometimes it’s just best to get rid of what you don’t need. There are times, though, when you don’t want to part with certain possessions, but it would be convenient to have them out of the way for a while.
You might be able to store your belongings at the home of a friend or family member, but it can be inconvenient to catch them at home so you can get your things back when you need them. Storage unit facilities offer round-the-clock access, security, and protection for your possessions. And you won’t owe your friends or family any favors in return!
Here are ten valid reasons why you may want to consider renting a self-storage locker:
1. When you are moving, you can store the things that aren’t truly necessities until you get settled into your new home. Packing up household goods that you won’t need right away gives you time to get your new home arranged into a livable condition without all that extra stuff underfoot. Move the stored items in as you need them or find room for them.
2. Houses that are on the market while the owners are still living in them will sell faster if they aren’t filled with clutter. Get all that junk you have stored in the closets, basement, and attic and garage out of the way so they can see how much space your house offers. Storing excess furnishings out of the way makes your rooms appear larger and the prospective buyer can imagine their own furnishings in the house
3. Seasonal items can take up valuable space when they aren’t being used. You might be surprised how much room you have in the garage when you don’t store your snowmobile, snow blower and Christmas decorations there all summer! In the winter, motorcycles, bicycles, summer sporting goods, pool equipment and barbeque grills can be stored safely out of the way until the seasons change.
4. Decluttering your home can reduce daily stress by giving you more room to live! You may have family heirlooms and other possessions with sentimental value that you seldom use, but can’t bear to part with. Old tax records, seasonal decorations that you only need a few weeks a year, and other household goods that aren’t necessities but something you would like (or need) to keep anyway can be stored securely in a self-storage locker.
5. When you are repairing, remodeling, or repainting your home, it’s a lot easier if you aren’t tripping over stuff or constantly having to move it out of the way. Consider renting a storage unit to hold them until your project is finished.
6. When an elderly relative passes away suddenly, they often leave a houseful of goods behind. Many of their possessions could be valuable antiques, or have strong sentimental value to family members. Putting those belongings in a self-storage unit keeps them in a secure location, and it will be easier to give the house a thorough cleaning before it goes on the market. The family can decide later how to divide the heirlooms that haven’t been willed to specific persons.
7. As your family grows, you may have outgrown baby clothes, cribs, walkers, strollers, toys and other equipment you want to save for the next child. Storing them in a locker keeps them safe and out of the way until the next child grows into them.
8. Storage units usually have tight security measures, and a climate-controlled locker is a safe environment for valuable antiques and artwork. Insurance on the contents of your unit can also be purchased from the self-storage facility as an added precaution.
9. An expanding business may need extra storage space that isn’t immediately available. Renting a self-storage unit give you time to find a permanent facility or build your own warehouse. The rent will be tax deductible!
10. Collectors or hobbyists may find they have run out of available space at home. Renting a small self-storage unit can give you the little extra space you need, and keep your collectibles or hobby supplies handy for when you want them.
Self-storage facilities are everywhere, and it’s easy to find one near your home or business. Check the yellow pages for self-storage facilities in your area, or Google “self-storage” to find self-storage company web sites that can point you in the right direction!
Moving across the country or even across town can take a lot of time and effort. Depending on how much stuff you have (and what kind of stuff), a move can be quite expensive as well.
If you’re looking to save money on your move, there are ways to bring the costs down. Here are a few tips from the pros here at Redman Van.
Create a moving budget
If you don’t keep track of all the expenses involved with your move, then they’re bound to get away from you. Decide from the beginning what you can afford, and then tally up all the costs that you anticipate.
Throughout the moving process, keep all your receipts and make sure you’re staying on budget. If you come across any unforeseen expenses, then adjust your budget accordingly.
Score some free boxes
There are plenty of places to find free boxes, but if you want the sturdiest boxes, get them from a liquor store. Because liquor store merchandise needs extra secure packaging, their boxes are more reinforced and durable than your average cardboard box.
Develop a good rapport with the store owner—after all, they’re doing you a pretty big favor. Find out first when they receive their shipments, and ask politely for any boxes that they would normally throw away.
Ways to save if you plan on hiring a moving company:
It’s not always an option to do your entire move yourself. You might not have all the time required to pack, load, and ship cross-country a house-full of stuff. If you’ve got any tricky items—like a pool table, piano or chandelier—then attempting to move them yourself would be a futile task.
The most convenient, and expensive, way to move is to hire a moving company to take you “shelf-to-shelf,” which means they do every step for you, including packing and unpacking. However, if you want to lower your bill, and still hire a moving company to handle the more difficult tasks, there are ways to bring down the costs.
Pack the boxes yourself
If you pack up most of your belongings yourself, you’ll be looking at substantially lowered costs. Remember to pack carefully, and let the moving company take care of the big ticket items—big screen TVs, piano, etc.
Make sure you get insurance for the move
Any attempts to save money could be quickly erased if your stuff is damaged en route to your new place. You can purchase insurance that covers the whole value of your items, or you can insure it all by the pound.
Be extra careful when packing your own boxes—anything you pack yourself might not be covered under the moving insurance. It’s a good idea to read the fine print, and find out exactly how you’re protected during the move.
Have a Moving Sale
If you can simply move fewer things, then you’ll save money. Any move is a great opportunity to unload some of your extra stuff—a moving sale is the perfect solution. You’ll even make a little extra money off of your old junk.
When looking for Utah moving companies, Redman Van can help you along any step of your move. Contact us today, and see how we can make your move easier at a surprisingly affordable price.